Staining a Deck
Staining a deck
Beauty glows when it is maintained from time to time so if wooden deck is maintained properly it enhances the overall beauty. Wooden deck shows wear due to its continuous exposure to the changing weather, but if fresh coat of stain is applied it will glow again. So maintenance and refinishing of deck is necessary because it a good place for relaxation and entertainment.
These are some easy steps that will guide you learn how to stain deck and get best result without any problems.
· Preparation before staining your deck or re staining a deck
· Remove everything from the deck like leaves and branches, needles etc…
· Wash a deck with cleaners as per the type of deck and make sure that deck is free from mildew stains, debris and dust.
· Once the deck is clean and dry examine the wood condition and planned for the materials like rubber gloves, paint brush, rags and drop cloth to be used to stain a deck.
· Getting started with staining your deck
· Choosing appropriate stain
· It is advisable that staining is not done in rainy climate and in direct sunlight.
· Apply to small portion first, to check for the color and look before applying to whole deck so that consistency is maintained throughout.
· Choose appropriate from variety as per color and opacity. Some of the stains that are used in common are
· Wood Toner - This stain is clear and slightly transparent. Thus helps in maintaining and restoring natural beauty of wood.
· Semi-transparent stain – This stain is used for texture of wood. It contains pigment that protects the deck for longer time.
· Solid stains – This stain is mainly applied in heavy traffic area. If you want rich color and opaque finishing than use this stain.
· Applying stain
· Use bristle brushes and coat heavily the open end grain of the board.
· To avoid damage to the surface of deck, ensure the adsorption of stain into the grain of the wood is done properly.
· After applying one coat wait until it gets and dry.
· More stain is not good because it’s get crack sometimes when exposed to moisture.
· So refinish and re-stain the deck time to time to improve the life of deck.